November 18, 2009

coffee + work = ritual

I am not a serious coffee drinker. I like iced coffee with cream and sugar. I like espresso in the form of a mocha, hot or iced. Hot coffee is something I drink with flavored creamer as a social act. I don't go out of my way to get a hot cup of coffee, I'm not really a fan of it. There is one flavor of coffee I do enjoy to drink hot (and iced) with just milk: hazelnut. Not really sure what it is about this flavor that I find so amazing, but I do enjoy it, so this afternoon, because the brew of choice was hazelnut, I am partaking in the afternoon ritual of most of my co-workers, the afternoon cup of coffee.

Coffee here at work is a little bit of a religion. The "old guys" get here by 7am and make a pot of "average" coffee and a pot of de-cafe. The rest of the group is in by 9, and a pot of the "good stuff" is made. Now I put it in quotes because of how serious they are about this. The good stuff is always beans that they grind per pot, and it's the kind of bag you spend more than 6 dollars on (think size you see at the counter of a starbucks or dunkin' donuts). The 9 o'clock cup is a grab and go. Sometimes a little talk around the table in the break room, but normally not too much, people have just recently arrived to work and have things to get done.

The next pot is made sometime between 1 and 2pm. Every now and then an 11 o'clock pot gets made, depending on the mood of the masses, but normally everyone can survive until after lunch for their next caffeine fix. Now the afternoon pot is a different beast than the 9am pot. It too is made with the good stuff, but this one is supposed to be enjoyed, and how better to enjoy anything than with a group of people. The afternoon cup is normally consumed around the table in the break room, where different things are discussed. The topic of converstation can be on work, cars, beer (beer is a common talk at work, something I enjoy immensely), coffee, women (women because the majority of my co-workers are men, both a blessing and curse when it comes with engineering), the weekend past or weekend coming up, you get the idea. It's not very often that this doesn't happen, it may be no longer than a 5 min talk, but is supposed to be a social cup of coffee.

Sometimes, though I am not a member of the coffee club (I don't drink it often enough to be willing to pay the 10 dollars a month, I'm a poor college kid), I partake in the coffee talk with a water in my hand. I like talking with my co-workers, they tell great stories, and there are some days where human interaction is much needed; especially days where I feel like I've fallen victim to my computer and it's bright screen of doom. Other days I continue to sit in the room next door to the break room and just enjoy the smell of fresh brewed coffee and the sound of co-workers talking, reminding me that I may be alone in my cave of misfit computer parts, but there are other human lifeforms just outside my cubicle wall.

Today is one of those days where I'm content to stay in my cave. I smelt the coffee on my way to the bathroom, and decided I couldn't resist the afternoon cup. I grabbed my mug, fixed myself a cup with cream (paid the 75 cents it costs non-members, see why 10 a month isn't worth it? I have no more than 4 cups a month) and came back to my computer, mostly because there was no one to draw me to the table and engage in conversation with. Now there are people around the table, but I'm content to sit here at my desk and just know that the ritual of the afternoon coffee talk is happening, even if it is happening later than normal (shame on them).

No comments:

Post a Comment